||Laboratory Automation Engineering, a key ILA educational program, is the systematic design and development of computer / instrumentation / robotics systems to assist laboratory personnel in their work. Its practice is based on the development of management policies and functional process models that together describe a Laboratory Automation Architecture for a particular labs work.
Why should your company care? The development of Laboratory Automation Engineering will benefit laboratories and their company's by:
- improving the effectiveness of automation systems, and their ability to be supported,
- reducing laboratory operating costs,
- meet the demands of regulatory agencies,
- protect / enhance the value of the labs intellectual property, and,
- make the most effective use of people's talents.
We will accomplish that by:
- developing methodologies and technologies that advance the practice of Laboratory Automation Engineering,
- providing education in those practices, and,
- developing support services.
The initial applications for computing were in science and engineering in the 1940's. Yet graphic designers, animators, and office workers have greater flexibility and more effective workflow automation than laboratory workers have, even though those applications have only been in place since the mid-1980's. The development of Laboratory Automation Engineering as a field, will raise the standards of automation applications and computing to improve peoples' ability work and be productive.